December 12 Trail Work Day Call for Volunteers
Please RSVP by Monday, December 6th with your name and number of volunteers to Trenton Bechtel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TRAIL WORKDAY ANNOUNCEMENT
Date: Sunday; December 12, 2021
Time: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Peggy’s Hill Parking Area
6050 Old Forge Road
**This is a physical address but may not come up on GPS correctly.
Description of Work:
We are excited to invite you to a trail workday on the Peggy’s Hill Trail. There has been a recent timber salvage sale and we need to reroute a section of trail that was impacted. The section is short but will need some attention. The workday will be held in December so please dress accordingly. There will be new trail construction, blazing, and brushing in of the old section. This workday will be weather dependent.
- If you have a favorite tool please feel free to bring it along, if not there will be tools provided.
- We will not be providing snacks or water; we ask participants please bring their own.
- Please bring your own gloves and safety glasses if you have them.
- Participants are encouraged to observe the most recent local, state, and federal guidelines and/or restrictions to reduce the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
- If not already registered, you must sign up as a DCNR Conservation Volunteer prior to the pickup. Instructions on how to register can be found at this link.
- If you are able to participate, please send an email to email@example.com with your name and number of volunteers (including yourself) so we may prepare enough supplies.
Quarterly Members Meeting – November 17
Our quarterly members meeting will be Wednesday November 17 to coincide with National Take a Hike Day. For those of you who can meet up early, we will meet up at the Canada Hollow trail head (https://goo.gl/maps/V5Dc9unvW9D1ujTG9) for a roughly 3 mile loop hike at 3:45. Then, we will make our way to the SU Centers for Excellence in downtown Shippensburg for our members meeting at 5:30. You can join the members meeting in person or via Zoom from 5:30-6:30.
- The SU Centers for Excellence is located at 29 E King Street in Shippensburg (https://goo.gl/maps/Z5vmasgjFHBHhxYt7). You can find a parking space on King Street, or there is also a parking lot located behind the building on Martin Ave. While there is a “No Parking/Private Parking” sign posted at that lot, parking there for the Centers is permitted.
- If you want to join via Zoom, the Zoom link is: https://ship.zoom.us/j/92841512135; or join via one tap mobile +13126266799,,92841512135# US; or join via phone +1 312 626 6799, enter Meeting ID: 928 4151 2135.
Summer Social – August 15
You are invited to join us for a Summer Social at Big Hill Cider on Sunday August 15 from 2:00-5:00. Come by and enjoy the region’s best local cider (before or after exploring the nearby Chestnut Ridge Trail) and learn about some of our upcoming initiatives and DCNR projects. This event is open to all!
Hike Through History – August 29
Join us for a hike through history at Camp Michaux, led by Andre Weltman, on Sunday August 29 from 10-12. Learn all about this unique historical site in Michaux, from its early days as an 18th century farm to its use as a CCC camp, a POW camp, and as a church camp. This is a members only event and space is limited, so please RSVP.
Check out the July update from the Friends of Michaux!
Welcome to the new recreation forester!
We’d like to extend a big welcome to the new recreation forester at Michaux State Forest, Trenton Bechtel! Trenton is replacing Matt Puchalsky, who moved on to a new position at Tuscarora State Forest. While we loved working with Matt, Trenton has become a friend of the Friends in his previous role as a seasonal assistant forester at Michaux, and we look forward to working with him in this new full time role.
Work day with our stewards – July 11
We had a great work day with our first cohort of resource stewards on the “Smoke”-Zimmerman cross country ski trails. On your next visit to this trail system, you will notice new blazes, new signs, and clear trails. To learn more about our resource stewardship program, and to sign up, see https://friendsofmichaux.org/resource-stewardship-program/.
Quarterly Members Meeting – June 22
This month is our quarterly members meeting! We will be meeting on Tuesday June 22 from 4:30-5:30 at Camp Michaux. Bring a camp chair and join us for updates from the FoM and to learn about what DCNR, with the help of many volunteers, is doing to manage the cultural and natural resources of this unique site. If you are new to Camp Michaux, see the Cumberland Valley Visitors’ Bureau website for driving directions, some background, and a comprehensive walking tour guide. We’ll have FoM t-shirts, Purple Lizard maps, and other merch available too!
Quarterly Members Meeting – April 20
Our quarterly member’s meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, April 20 at 5:30. We will be meeting at or near the Anna Michner parking lot on Ridge Road and we’ll be learning about how DCNR foresters are restoring and managing the unique oak-pine barrens ecosystem. We’ll also give our members an update on our activities. Bring a camp chair!
Pick Up Michaux on April 17
We hope you can participate in this effort to clean up forestry roads throughout southern Michaux. Feel free to show up anytime between 8:30 and 9:00 a.m. on April 17, 2021 and the clean up will go until noon. Check in at the Old Forge Picnic Area (8006 Old Forge Rd Waynesboro, PA 17268 (https://goo.gl/maps/fbFFdaDx46vq4XVZ9)).
WORK DESCRIPTION: Litter pick up along multiple forestry roads, located in the southern portion of Michaux State Forest. DCNR and the Friends of Michaux State Forest will be coordinating the work, so please check in at the Old Forge Picnic Area.
- To ensure social distancing, we are asking participants to bring their own gloves and reflective vests. However, we will provide those materials as needed at the check in location at the Old Forge Picnic Area.
- We will not be providing snacks or water, we ask participants please bring their own.
- We will be providing trash bags and other clean up supplies and tools (e.g. trash pickers/litter grabbers).
- Event is rain or shine, may be postponed in the event of severe weather.
- Participants are encouraged to observe the most recent local, state and federal guidelines and/or restrictions to reduce the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
- If not already registered, you must sign up as a DCNR Conservation Volunteer prior to the pickup.
- If you are able to participate, please send an email to FD01@pa.gov with your name and number of volunteers (including yourself) so we may prepare enough supplies. *Please RSVP by Thursday, April 15, 2021 Feel free to contact us if you have any questions, hope to see you there!
Stop by and see us at the Buck Ridge Burn – April 11
On April 11, we will have a booth at the Buck Ridge Burn from about 7:30 am until 1:30 or so. Stop by to say hi – plus we’ll have patches, stickers, Purple Lizard maps, and maybe new t-shirts available for sale!