Pick Up Michaux – Saturday October 10
We invite you to join us for the Pick Up Michaux litter clean up this fall. This volunteer event is part of the Pickup Pennsylvania initiative, a Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful program. We hope you can participate in this effort to clean up a heavily traveled area of the forest.
DATE: October 10, 2020
TIME: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
MEETING PLACE: Old Forge Picnic Area, 8006 Old Forge Rd, Waynesboro, PA 17268 (https://goo.gl/maps/fbFFdaDx46vq4XVZ9)
WORK DESCRIPTION: Litter pick up along Old Forge Road, between the town of South Mountain and Wirt Road. DCNR and the Friends of Michaux State Forest will be coordinating the work, so please check in at the Old Forge Picnic Area.
- To ensure social distancing, we are asking participants to bring their own gloves and reflective vests. However, we will provide those materials as needed and available at the check in location at the Old Forge Picnic Area.
- We will not be providing snacks or water, we ask participants please bring their own.
- We will be providing trash bags and other clean up supplies and tools (e.g. trash pickers/litter grabbers).
- Event is rain or shine, may be postponed in the event of severe weather.
- Participants are encouraged to observe the most recent local, state and federal guidelines and/or restrictions to reduce the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
- If you are able to participate, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com with your name and number of volunteers (including yourself) so we may prepare enough supplies. *Please RSVP by Thursday, October 8, 2020
The September and October meetings of the Friends of Michaux will be limited to board members only. Stay tuned for other great events coming up in the Fall!
Sprucing up Big Flat – August 2020
Thanks to our members who spent a Saturday at the Big Flat parking area applying a new coat of paint!
Meetings to resume June 16, 2020
We are pleased to announce that we will begin holding our monthly meetings again, starting on June 16. Please join us from 6:30-8:00 at the Big Pine Flat Heliport (https://goo.gl/maps/2KjsYpwnXXn8rT4Y8). Bring your own camp chair! We hope that we can start a plan to reboot our volunteer work, so stay tuned!
Meetings and workdays cancelled until further notice
Due to COVID19, we are cancelling all meetings and workdays until further notice. We look forward to when we can all get back to work in our favorite state forest! Until then, stay safe, practice social distancing when you’re out and about in Michaux, and #leavenotrace!
Volunteer Work Day February 22
We’re planning a work day on Saturday February 22 to tackle a few small projects. As always, note that all participants should complete a DCNR conservation volunteer application. To help us know the approximate head count, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know which of these projects you’d like to sign up for.
- State forest staff need four volunteers to help clear fences at Polk Hill. Start time would be 8 AM at the District Office.The work will be clearing brush and trees after the staff have cut the brush with chainsaws/brush saws. This will be physical work! The day will wrap up by noon/early afternoon.
- At the south end of the Forest, FoM member Isaac Littrell is leading a litter pick up along Buchanan Trail E from 9AM – Noon. Meet up will be at the AT parking lot on Buchanan Trail, where there is parking for 4 or 5 cars. This will be a road-side clean up, but volunteers will be working behind the guard rail. Isaac will be providing bottled water, snacks, fluorescent vests, rubber gloves, and trash bags. Volunteers must be at least 8 years old and accompanied by someone 18 or older.
- Further north, Claire Jantz will be leading a litter clean up along Furnace Hollow/Big Pond Hollow from 1:00PM – 4:00PM. Claire will be providing bottled water, snacks, rubber gloves, and trash bags. There is parking for 3 or 4 cars at the meet up location, although there is parking along Big Pond Hollow at different pull offs. This project includes a group of Shipensburg University students who are working in the Michaux as part of a fund raising effort to fund an international service learning trip.
Take your pick! And please RSVP to email@example.com, we do need a pretty firm head count on these.